Software Engineers conduct or participate in multidisciplinary research and collaborate with design, layout and/or hardware engineers in the design, development, and utilization of productivity enhancement layout tools and design rule checkers, electronic data processing systems software. Determines computer user needs, advises hardware designers on machine characteristics that affect software systems such as storage capacity, processing speed, and input/output requirements, designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems. Responds to customer/client requests or events as they occur. Develops solutions to problems utilizing formal education, judgement and formal software process.
Linux Power and Performance Optimization Engineer
You will be working as part of Intel's Open Source Technology Centre (OTC). OTC is home to the core of Intel's open source development efforts. We have a long track record of contributing to and sponsoring a wide variety of open source projects, from the Linux kernel to the visualization stack to large overarching projects like ClearLinux and Yocto. We are also Intel's leading organization for Android on IA, Android Kernel, Drivers, Optimization and System Integration. OTC is part of SSG (Software and Services Group). OTC is a leader in open source software with a mission to define and deliver product-quality open source software and technology innovation that unlocks the potential of Intel hardware and creates software business opportunities.
Specific responsibilities include optimizing power and performance for Intel's next generation of phones, tablets and embedded devices.
Expertise in at least ONE OF THE Following domains on an Android platform is mandatory:
- Audio/Video (ALSA, Open Max, Stage Fright)
- Display (Surface Flinger, DRM Driver, HDMI/DP/eDP/MIPI DSI)
- Graphics (OpenGLES)
- Camera (Camera HAL, V4L2 Driver, ISP Firmware, 3A)
- Cellular/WIFI/BT (WPA Supplicant, BT HAL, Telephony RIL)
- Security/SE Linux/Google OTA/Fastboot
- System Debug: Should have root caused and fixed low-level crashes (Kernel Panics, Hard faults, Cache coherency issues)
- Sensors/IO (SPI, UART, USB, USB Type C)
- Storage (NAND, NOR, EMMC, SD, SDIO)
- Power/Performance optimizations
- Familiarity with tools like GIT
- Good programming skills, with expert level C
- Understanding of Android internals
- Open source contributions to Mainline Linux Kernel
The Intel Software and Services Group (SSG) connects Intel to the worldwide software community. SSG strives to bring competitive advantage to Intel platforms by helping independent software vendors, operating system developers, OEMs, channel members and systems integrators deliver exceptional customer value and achieve differentiation on Intel® processor technologies. SSG provides global leadership to the software community through its technical expertise, industry enabling activities, and developer products and programs.