Initiates the design, development, execution and implementation of scientific research projects to fuel Intel's growth in the areas of computing, communication, technology and manufacturing and new business opportunity. Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions and products typically 7+ years prior to landing on a product roadmap. Plans and executes laboratory research. Maintains substantial knowledge of state of the art principles and theories, and contributes to scientific literature and conferences. May participate in development of intellectual property. May coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts. Typically holds a PhD.
- PhD or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Video/Graphics/Image Processing, Computer Vision, AI/Deep learning, Signal Processing or other related areas
- 3+ years of experience and track record in video/media coding/compression e.g. H.264, AV1, H.265, MPEG, or AI/Deep learning, etc.
- 3+ years previous experience in video codec design and ability to implement the design in software using C/C++, Python, MATLAB, UNIX/Linux/MS Windows, real-time operating systems and software development tools
- Image processing, real-time computer graphics, GPU knowledge in communications and signal processing desired
- Knowledge of machine learning and familiarity with deep learning frameworks like TensorFlow, Theano, Caffe, etc. is a plus
Intel Labs is the company's world-class, industry leading research organization, responsible for driving Intel's technology pipeline and creating new opportunities. The mission of Intel Labs is to deliver breakthrough technologies to fuel Intel's growth. This includes identifying and exploring compelling new technologies and high risk opportunities ahead of business unit investment and demonstrating first-to-market technologies and innovative new usages for computing technology. Intel Labs engages the leading thinkers in academia and industry in addition to partnering closely with Intel business units.