Systems Engineer DevOps
DevOps Engineer, Aylesbury, UK
Intel Security has amazing opportunities ahead! In the next several months, we anticipate transitioning to a stand-alone company. This will help to position us as one of the largest pure-play cybersecurity companies in the world. During this transition, we will continue to have a bold vision to achieve, which we can’t achieve without talented people.
McAfee Labs Production team is looking for a highly motivated self-starter who is passionate about systems engineering and driving DevOps principles to deploy value quickly, safely, securely and reliably.
This opportunity is to join the Production Engineering & Operations group who are responsible for the technology, systems and processes to build, test and release McAfee's malware definition DAT files each day.
Reporting to the Senior Operations Manager you will be responsible for systems engineering, systems good practices, administration, day-to-day maintenance as well as helping to design and deliver secure highly available, scalable solutions.
- This role may occasionally require out-of-hours work. There will also be an 'on-call' schedule.
- Drive, design, implement and maintain solutions for deployment, monitoring and operations
- Perform as technical lead on solution design, deployment and integration projects
- Collaborate with other technical leads to ensure integrated end-to-end design and deployment
- Document deployment decisions and solutions topology
- Support Project Managers in technical tasks and delivery schedule development
- Champion DevOps principles
- Create solutions to automate test, staging and production deployments
- Conduct reviews of in-service systems
- Understand where automation can be applied to various aspects of our in-service systems and processes and then drive its implementation
- Monitor and regularly report on the operating performance and availability of all in-service systems
- Ensure incidents and problems are diagnosed and effective resolutions implemented
- Make sure agreed recovery measures exist RTOs, RPOs and facilitate the work towards improving in-service system reliability MTBF, MTTF
- Mentor other Systems Engineer DevOps team members
- Be an excellent problem solver able to come up with innovative and effective solutions to solve sometimes highly complex problems
- Prioritize, support and manage multiple projects and workload according to business changing priorities
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring excellent commutation and transparency on decisions
- Windows Operating System and Active Directory knowledge
- Practical experience administering Linux and applications that run on it including Artifactory, Puppet, Jenkins, Elastic Stack
- Strong hands-on experience with VMware technologies incl vRO
- Demonstrable experience with automated deployment and systems configuration e.g. Puppet
- Practical experience with at least one of the following scripting languages - Python, PowerShell or PowerCLI
- Good understanding of TCP/IP networks and security
- Confidence using SQL languages
- Previous experience with defining performance and availability monitoring to track that SLAs are achieved
Advantageous other skills to have
- Knowledge/experience supporting 7-day operations
- Great people skills.
- People like working with you, you've mentored others
- Experience with build and release systems with short release cycles.
- Deep understanding of Continuous Deployment and automation
- Experience managing hundreds of server and workstation instances from XP to 2012 R2
- "Can do" attitude
- Ability to apply pragmatism to make informed assessments
- Shows passion, drive, determination and a strong work ethic to succeed
- Demonstrates an innovative approach to problem solving
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbally
- Confident, personable, ability to work to deadlines
- Enjoys interacting with people all around the company
- Enjoys working in a fast paced environment
- Excellent customer service attitude
- Conscientious and ensures the success of the team and the wider business
Inside this Business Group
The Intel Security Group combines employees from McAfee and Intel – people with security expertise in hardware, software, and solutions into one business unit focused on building hardware, software, services and end-to-end security solutions. Intel Security Group sets the stage for new levels of collaboration and innovation and will drive leadership in the industry by providing ubiquitous security and identity protection for people and businesses worldwide.